Friday 27 November 2009

The Architectural Uncanny

Anthony Vidler
"Not only is human being interpretation all the way down, so that our practices can never be grounded in human nature, God's will, or the structure of rationality, but this condition is one of such radical rootless that everyone feels fundamentally unsettled (unheimlich), that is, senses that human beings can never be at home in the world. this, according to Heidegger, is why we plunge into trying to make ourselves at home and secure. "

When i was a kid, i believe home is where you feel at ease. Home is where you 'return to' after school.

In 2002, along with my brother (2 yrs older) each hauling a jammed-packed suitcase. Flew across the sea to UK and studied at an boarding school. At that time home was across the sea in HK.
After a few years, I started referring the boarding house as "home" (parents were no pleased)
Did i say so because the contents in my room grew, have i simply "got used to the idea", is it my friends at school that made me feel at home?
(In the boarding house we would treat each other as sisters ; have fights, snuggle & watch tv, go shopping, have detention for makeup...etc)

At present times, refer every where home easily, my halls is home, my present address is home, my boyfriends place is home, my hk home is home...

Does it mean that we don't only have one "main" home. Home is where our loved one is, where our belongings are, and most of all where we feel accepted, relaxed and at ease.As we grow up the term in our idea about home changes along with the changes of our needs and demands.

Therefore home is where our mind think it is, even if you live in a rubbish pit, if you feel at home, your at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment